Saturday, December 4, 2010

The Metaporical Closet of your Life

I don't think I know-it-all but I think everyone knows something.  Sometimes you think you've learned your lesson, only to repeat it again.  I'm a like to reflect on life-never regret-dwell-or any of that.  What's done is done, move on...but I like to sort out closet of my mind (every once in a while.)  Sounds crazy...but it's my way of seeing where I am at and how I've grown, what I change.

When it's time to clean out your closet-you find many things.  Things you have outgrown (whether by eating to much, change in style, or you got bored with it.)  There are things you forgot you had-that you really like and are going to start wearing them again.  There are your go-to things that you use often and you might not even LOVE them...but they are comfortable in fabric or style.  You may see that you lack certain things, with an overabundance over others.  It feels so good hauling out bags of clothes and stuff to donate to Goodwill.  I am not a hoarder but very sentimental, so if I found out my grandmother's gaudy cocktail ring was worth $10,000 I wouldn't even sell it.  Your closet tells a story of your life, what you are about...there most likely is history there.  I even still have my prom dress.  Now I love nostalgia, there comes a point where you have to let it go.  Reflecting on whether it serves you or not.  My best friend, Tricia, and I were discussing the parallels of life and our closets.

When I take stock of my life and wrap my mind around it, I find my thoughts arising.  Thoughts of what I think about myself, my parenting, my goals, my faults, and my strengths come up.  I do this with the goal of detachment, of not judging but observing.  You can look at picture of the past and think who thin you were, how young you were, and how happy or unhappy you were.  I make mistakes, grow & learn...rinse and repeat.  That's life!  If you are smart, you try not to keep repeating the smart mistakes but it happens.  I'm always on a quest for new ways to look at or deal with situations that bother me.  As a parent, you are always in adapting mode, trying to guide without controlling...managing....without losing your mind.  If I am wrong, mess up, or yell, I apologize.  That's not who I want to be.  If I feel jealousy, competition, self-doubt, I steer my thoughts in another direction.  You are the master of your thoughts, you can decide to change to a new way of thinking.  It takes focus to do this but it is so worth it.

If you don't like drama...walk away from it.  You are thinking how mad you are and there's conflict but you decide the anger isn't worth the price, especially the feelings getting hurt.  Every day is that new fork in the road to choose your path.  I have found for myself, writing down negative feelings I have felt and changing them into a positive helps me.  If you feel you are too fat or something external, you still have a choice.  You can chose your thoughts.  Go in your literal closet and put something on that brings out your eyes or your best attribute.  Look in the mirror and say, "You are fabulous!"  Laugh at the silliness of it or just smile.  People will think you are fabulous-you have nothing to lose.  HAVE FABULOUS-FUN-FILLED DAY!  And clean out your closet, you'll feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment